Monday 20 October 2014

You are the average of these 5 people


I've been trying to write this post for about a week now, but haven't had the time or the feeling to write. I started it and then something kept coming up or when I began to write I had writers block. I never knew writers block was a thing; just thought it was a something writers say when they are lazy or can't be bothered to write. So here it is: today's post.

Recently I spent a  while with a relative who I just about see once a year. He talked about success and reaching goals. He also mentioned something which just doesn't related to success and goals, but to self-improvement; the average of five.

He quoted Jim Rohn “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.”

The rule or, well, idea of the five makes sense. It’s around the people you spend the most time with, where you adopt some of their habits and traits, whether good or bad.  The average of five does not always have to be five but just the people around you. These people can be friends or family or acquaintances. In my case I'm have four; well had four. These four are my good friends from university, people I would like to call my family. This family consists of an older sister, old brother, chilled out uncle and a super religious granddad. You must be thinking that I hang out with a bunch of weirdoes of all ages, but sadly no they all a similar age to myself. It's just the way I see them.

You may ask me how these four people have helped me to develop and reach my goals in life. For you to understand this I will need to take you back 5 years. I wasn't the most polite person, I was in your face and did swear a lot @&%$, wasn't the brightest bulb in the class and was, let's say, a bit immature.  Over the last 5 years these people have helped and challenged me to exce

They have also helped me become more polite and think before I say anything, well at least when in public, online is a different story. I became more calm and laid back rather than having a thousand things going through my mind and thinking of the past more than the present and future. Overall I feel I have matured and become a new person with my four.
A quick explanation of how each has helped me, I will talk about them more in later posts as they all will need a post each.

l in class and grades from first year university where I messed around and just about passed to leaving with what I think was a good grade.

The old sister has helped me be more polite and think before I speak
The big brother has helped me as a person, someone I just talk to about stuff
The laid back lazy uncle has helped me become more relaxed and not to think so much. I can't fully change as overthinking is just what I do, but now I do it a little less.
The granddad has helped me excel in my studies, after all he and I did fail our first assignment together. Anything but a fail from there was an improvement.

With the average of five, you as a person changes and so do the five. Like for myself I have now changed; I'm now working just like the rest of them and surrounded by different people therefore it's time to look for another five or four or three. Even though I wish I didn't have to.  These four I met at university will always be my best friends even if they are the people who I need at the moment to help me reach my goals. After all they are family and you can't really get rid of your family that easily.  At the  moment we aren’t talking much as they are all busy bees with work and marriage and some have moved out but I know if I make that one phone call saying I'm in need they will be there in a heartbeat

So this is MrU signing out. I will soon post a bit about each of my four idiot friends. Drop a comment below if you do get to the end and I hope you enjoyed reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment